Ginger Milk Curd Recipe
Ginger milk curd is a Cantonese traditional dessert originated in Guangdong. When ginger juice is mixed with milk, the texture will become like tofu fa (tofu custard) or steamed egg. It has smoother texture than tofu fa or steamed egg. Ginger milk curd is a healthy dessert that can strengthen stomach, prevent cold and skin beauty effects. Ginger milk curd can be either served as hot or cold.
Ginger milk curd has silky texture with sweet and slightly spicy taste. Ginger is a common folk treatment for upset stomach. Studies have found that ginger contains a special active substance similar to salicylic acid which act as a blood thinner and help to lower blood lipids, blood pressure, preventing thrombosis and myocardial infarction. Therefore, regular consumption of ginger can maintain overall health for longevity.
The biochemical principle of making “ginger milk curd” is due to coagulation when milk is added to ginger juice in a certain temperature range, about 40°C to 100°C and lead to formation of milk curd.
How to Make Ginger Milk Curd
1 Large Piece of old ginger
250ml Full Cream Milk
20g of sugar
2. Peel the ginger and chop into minced ginger.
4. Pour the full cream milk into the pan and add in sugar. Boil on medium and low heat until slightly boiled and small bubbles are formed on the side of the pot. Turn off the heat and let it cool for a while.
5. When the temperature drops to about 70 °C, pour it into a bowl with ginger juice from a high place, and cover the bowl with a lid.
7. Finally, you can decorate it with some rose petals or almond slices at the top and serve it.
1. 美食杰。姜撞奶。Viewed on 18 October 2021, from https://www.meishij.net/zuofa/jiangzhuangnai_35.html
2. 美食杰。广东姜撞奶。Viewed on 18 October 2021, from https://www.meishij.net/zuofa/guangdongjiangzhuangnai.html