HOT APPLE CEREAL RECIPE
This grainless cereal porridge relies on sweet and tart Honey crisp apples to make a chunky sauce enriched with coconut milk, cashews and ground flaxseed.
Total Time: 25 Min
Yield: 4 servings
- 6 Honey crisp apple
- 1 cup canned coconut milk
- 2/3 cup roasted cashews
- 2 tablespoons ground flaxseed
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- ½ cup raisins
1. Cut off the sides/cheeks from 1 apple and slice; reserve. Set aside 1/4 cup of the coconut milk.
2. Peel and core the remaining 5 apples and cut into 1-inch chunks. Add the apple chunks, remaining 3/4 cup coconut milk and 2/3 cup water to a medium saucepan and bring to a simmer over medium-high heat. Simmer, stirring occasionally, until the liquid is reduced by half and the apples are tender and can be easily mashed with a fork, 10 to 12 minutes. Remove from the heat and gently mash the apples, making sure to leave some chunks for texture.
3. Meanwhile, pulse the cashews in a food processor until they are completely ground and resemble flour (be careful not to make butter). Transfer to a medium bowl and stir in the flaxseed and cinnamon. Fold the cashew-flax mixture and raisins into the mashed apple mixture and stir until well combined.
4. Divide the porridge among 4 bowls and drizzle each with 1 tablespoon of the reserved coconut milk. Top each bowl with apple slices, crushed cashews if using, raisins if using and a sprinkle of cinnamon.