RECIPE: CHINESE YAM & PURPLE SWEET POTATO CAKES
Chinese yam is used in traditional Chinese medicine food which has the health effects of strengthening the kidneys, spleen, stomach and lungs functions.
Chinese yam contains a special active ingredient called yam polysaccharide such as mannitol, xylose and glucose. Yam polysaccharide has the many health effect including lowering blood sugar, strengthen the immune system and anti-cancer effect.
Chinese yam can improve stomach function by increasing the absorption of small intestine due to the presence of amylase and polyphenol oxidase. Moreover, Chinese yam has the potential to reduce cholesterol and prevent cardiovascular diseases. Chinese yam has high nutritious value with many beneficial effects.
Most of desserts are made from high fat and sugar may result weight gain and unhealthy diet. For all dessert lovers, we want to share with you an oil-free but delicious ad healthy dessert here.
“Chinese Yam & Purple Sweet Potato Cake” is made by steamed Chinese yam and purple sweet potato that are cheap but high nutritional value. Chinese Yam & Purple Sweet Potato Cake is an oven-free recipe, low-fat, additives free and healthier dessert suitable for whole family including the elderly and children.
Chinese yam & purple sweet potato cake is a great choice for breakfast or dessert to eat. As a good idea for everyone can follow and make it at home!
Recipe of Chinese Yam & Purple Sweet Potato Cake
Process Method: Steaming
Time: 30 minutes
200g Purple sweet potato
150g of Chinese yam
1) Peel the skin of purple sweet potato and Chinese yam then cut them into small pieces.
2) Steam until cooked through for about 25 minutes.
3) Allow the steamed Chinese yam to cool. Then add honey and press the Chinese yam into puree with a spoon. The steamed purple sweet potato is also pressed into a puree. The purple sweet potato does not need to be added with honey.
4) Take out 25g of pureed Chinese yam and 25g of pureed purple sweet potato to form a dough for each.
5) Place the dough on cake mold and make the shape of the mold. Complete and ready to serve.
• Raw Chinese yam may cause itchy hands. It is recommended to wear gloves when peeling or steam the Chinese yam before peeling.
• Chinese yam has less sweet, add a little honey to Chinese yam instead of fine sugar, which is more delicious and healthy. Honey is not heat-resistant and remember to add the honey after cool down to preserve their nutrition.
• You can make different patterns according to your favorite molds. It is recommended to use non-stick molds to facilitate demolding, otherwise brush a thin layer of oil or sprinkle some cooked flour on the mold.
1.) 美食杰. 紫薯山药糕. Viewed on 3 Jun 2021, from <https://ww.meishij.net/zuofa/zishushanyaogao_1.html>.
2.) 网易.教你做紫薯山药糕，制作简单无添加，无糖无油，老人小孩都能吃.Viewed on 3 Jun 2021, from : <https://www.163.com/dy/article/G0QPOKQO0543OO5Y.html>.
3.) 华商网.经常食用山药有哪些好处？这3类人不宜食用！Viewed on 3 Jun 2021, from: <http://life.hsw.cn/system/2021/0512/168714.shtml>.