BROWN SUGAR JUJUBE CAKE RECIPE
“Jujube cake” is a royal cake of the Qing dynasty. It is one of the top ten cakes in the “Man Han Quan”.
Goodness of Jujube/ Red Date
The main ingredient for making jujube cakes is jujube or red date. Red dates are one of the most popular health foods that can consume as raw or cooked. The functions of red date are included nourish the spleen and stomach, replenish qi and blood, help to soothe the nerves and keep you regular, beneficial to women, elderly and children.
Goodness of Brown Sugar
Brown sugar is the second key ingredient used in making jujube cake. As compared with fine sugar, brown sugar has more health effects which can replenish qi and blood, nourish spleen and stomach and promote blood circulation to remove blood stasis. Brown sugar is great for women health.
Brown Sugar Jujube Cake Recipe
The traditional preparation method of jujube cake is steamed. Here, we are suggesting to use oven to bake it to improve its texture without any additives added. If you don’t have an oven at home, you can also use a steamer to make it. Remember to cover the surface with plastic wrap to prevent steam from dripping into the mold.
100g Red Dates
65g Brown Sugar
80g Low-gluten flour
20g Salad Oil
1. Prepare the ingredients. Suggest to use room temperature eggs because whole eggs are easy to beat at 40°C and are relatively stable.
2. Make the red dates puree, wash the red dates and steam for about 10 minutes.
3. After steaming, remove the seeds of red dates.
4. Add a little water to the red dates, pour them into the food processor and blend into jujube puree.
5. Take 80g of jujube puree, add salad oil and stir well, cool down for later use. At the same time, preheat the oven at 170°C for 10 minutes.
6. Next, mix the eggs and crushed brown sugar into the egg-beating bowl. The sweetness of brown sugar is about 80% of white sugar. Brown sugar tends to clump thus make it easier to disperse after crushing.
7. Use a whisk to beat the egg and brown sugar until thick, the volume expands 3 times and a ribbon form that will not disappear immediately.
8. Sift in the low-gluten flour and gently stir from the bottom until even. Do not over-stir to avoid de-foaming.
9. Pour the jujube puree along the side of the bowl and mix gently. The cake batter is about the same volume as a freshly beaten whole egg.
10. Then use a little salad oil spread the inside of the mold, which is easier when demolding.
11. Pour the cake batter into a mold and drop the mold onto the counter a couple of times to remove the air bubbles.
12. Put the mold in the lower middle of the oven and bake at 170°C for 30 minutes. If you use a steamer, steam it on medium heat for about 20 minutes.
13. Remove from the oven when finished. No artificial fluffing agent is added thus the size of the cake is not much different from that before entering the oven.
14. Finally unmold the cake and cool it. Cut into pieces and serve it.
美食杰。红糖枣糕。Viewed on 13 Aug 2021, from: <