WHY IS DRINK WATER IMPORTANT?
Up to 60% of the human adult body is water. Water is vital for body function normal and optimal health. (1)
Functions of water in body: (1)(2)
Water act as a shock absorber for brain, spinal cord and fetus. Water helps protect and acts as a lubricant and cushion for your joints.
Water helps your body to eliminate wastes through urination, defecation and respiration. Water helps kidneys remove waste from blood and keep the blood vessels that run to kidneys open and filter them out. Water increase body fluid intake will cure constipation.
Water aid in digestion to help break down the food and promote the nutrient absorption by the body. Carbohydrate and protein that body uses as food are digested, absorbed and transported and metabolized via water in bloodstream.
The body will lose fluid during vigorous exercise, sweating, illness such as vomiting or diarrhea. Symptoms of dehydration include feeling thirsty, dry skin, fatigue, dizzy and headache It is important to increase water intake to restore body hydration and prevent dehydration.
A study showed that dehydration is a drag to memory, attention and energy cause issues including weakness, fatigue and confusion. About 75% of human brain is made up of water. Water is vital to keep brain function optimally.
How much water do you need? (3)
Malaysian Food Pyramid 2020 recommended that adult need to consume 6-8 glasses of plain water (250ml per glass) equivalent to 1500ml to 2000ml per day.
The fact is that the actual amount of water intake depends upon several factors, including gender, age, physical activity and environment. In terms of gender, men need more water than women because men have high energy expenditure and less body fat. You also may need more water intake after exercise or in a hot climate.
Can replace by other beverages? (3)
Caffeinated (tea/ coffee/ chocolate) or alcoholic drink both have diuretic effect will increase water loss through urination. They are not recommended to satisfy thirst or to be consumed as a re-hydration drink. Plain water should be your first choice to hydrate better than caffeinated or alcoholic drinks.
Set reminders: (4)
You can also set reminders to drink more water using an app or the alarm on your smartphone or smartwatch.
Water reminder applications have everything, which can help you calculate the amount of water you need every day, remind you to drink water on time and help you record water intake. A great application that can help you develop a good habit of drink enough water regularly, perfect for those who often forget to drink water in busy schedule.
Water Reminder Apps FREE to download:
• For Android devices: click here for download
• For IOS/ Apple devices: click here for download
1. U.S. Geological Survey. The water in you: water and the human body. Viewed on 27 April 2021, from <https://www.usgs.gov/special-topic/water-science-school/science/water-you-water-and-human-body?qt-science_center_objects=0#qt-science_center_objects>.
2. Migala (2020). 7 Health benefits of water backed scientific research. Viewed on 27 April 2020, from <https://www.everydayhealth.com/water-health/water-body-health.aspx>.
3. Malaysian dietary guidelines. Drink plenty of water daily. Viewed on 27 April 2020, from <https://www.moh.gov.my/moh/images/gallery/Garispanduan/diet/km11.pdf>.
4. Healthline. 12 Simple ways to drinks more water. Viewed on 27 April 2020, from <https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/how-to-drink-more-water#TOC_TITLE_HDR_5>.